How we can help
Dementia Auckland is here to support both people with dementia and their carers.
We offer a range of programmes and services that inspire people with dementia to make the most of life. All of these services are free of charge and we encourage anyone with questions about dementia or the support we provide, to get in touch. We know we can make a positive difference.
Dementia Auckland provides a series of weekly socialisation activities for people with dementia. Available to anyone with dementia, the groups are free and are run in a variety of locations across Auckland – North, South, East and West. These activities are also open to carers and family members of people with dementia.
Our socialisation programme is currently growing a number of community groups across the Auckland Region. These include:
- Walking groups in Henderson, St Heliers, Blockhouse Bay, Cornwall Park, Pukekohe, and Manurewa
- Cognitive Stimulation Therapy groups across Auckland
- A gym group in Pakuranga
- Three weekly exercise groups in conjunction with the Integrated Neurological Rehabilitation Foundation - one in Henderson and two on the North Shore.
Plus, we have many more activities planned for the year ahead!
We have had some amazing feedback from people who attend the weekly programmes, with almost everyone saying they would never miss their regular catch up with friends, and carers enjoying the opportunity to get support from each other, or just have a few hours to themselves.
Our socialisation team also provides on-to-one socialisation services, allowing time out for the carer and social stimulation for the person with dementia. This one-on-one support is typically short term (4-6 weeks) and acts as an introduction to community activity groups.
Professional Dementia Keyworker Service
Dementia Auckland provides professional Dementia Keyworkers, located right around the Auckland region. Keyworkers offer a wide range of free support services, including:
- Telephone consultations and advice
- Home visits
- Individual and family group consultations
- Carers’ Support Groups
- Excellent information resources
Dementia Keyworkers maintain contact with clients throughout their dementia journey. Learn more about our Keyworkers here.
Dementia Auckland provides free telephone support through our dementia keyworkers who are available during the day from 9am – 4.00pm. Dementia keyworkers offer consultation, guidance, information and advice over the telephone. It can often help just having someone to talk to, someone who understands, to help ease some of the daily pressure of living with dementia.
We are here to help, so please call us on:
- Freephone 0800 4 DEMENTIA / 0800 433 636
- Main office (09) 622 4230
- 24 hour information line 09 634 6205
Our carer education programme
When it comes to dementia, often the carer’s life is impacted just as much, if not more, as the life of the person living with dementia. Dementia Auckland provides carers and families with free, specific carer education support so that they can:
- have a better understanding of dementia
- get practical advice on living with dementia
- learn practical communication strategies
- develop tools for problem solving and managing stress
- get information on help and support services available to them
- understand strategies for coping with the changes that dementia brings
FREE courses are held throughout the year in various locations throughout Auckland. For family members caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease, or another form of dementia, our education programme provides invaluable information that can be applied to everyday situations, and help ease their stress.
Education for professionals is an integral part of our work, and includes
- Upskilling health professionals in the provision of dementia care and support
- Upskilling support workers
- Residential service providers
- Home and community providers
- Tertiary education institutes
- Special interest groups